When it comes to hormonal imbalances, women are more likely to suffer from this. Hormone is a chemical messenger that stimulates the blood to carry information to different organs, tissues, muscles, and skin. The message instructs the body what to do and when to do it. It is necessary for human life and health. There are over 50 hormones in the body that are responsible for carrying out different bodily functions, prompting –
- Metabolism rate
- Progress and Growth
- Sex and Reproductive functions
- Psychological and Cognitive functions
- body temperature regulation
- Quenching and Thirst
Don’t fret! Get a detailed insight into the cause of hormonal imbalances, signs of hormonal imbalances, and the remedy for hormonal imbalances through this blog. You will know how these naturally occurring concerns impact human life and the ways to resolve it. Stay connected till the end of the blog to procure helpful insight.
What is Hormonal Imbalance?
A hormonal imbalance can impact the human body majorly. An imbalance in hormones is said to be a condition when a body has so many or fewer hormones. Hormones in itself is a vast term that reflects many different hormones. It is a message that plays a key role in body activities. Too much or too little can pose a major change to the body that can cause conditions requiring treatment.
Hormonal imbalance may be temporary or chronic. Temporary imbalance can go on its own, while a chronic or prolonged imbalance brings significant changes that need treatment. Else, it would impact the quality of life negatively.
Impact Caused by Hormonal Imbalance
Behind numerous health conditions, hormonal issues are a cause. Some of the hormones are temporary and can go on their own. While many of these hormonal imbalances need treatment. Some common hormone conditions are
Various hormones involved in the menstrual cycle. Owing to this, an imbalance in any of the hormones can bring irregular periods. Polycystic ovary syndrome and amenorrhea are some hormone-related conditions that can cause irregular periods.
It’s due to hormonal imbalance that causes infertility in women. Infertility in females is caused by Hormone-related issues, namely PCOS and anovulation. Male as well encounter hormonal imbalance that impacts fertility hypogonadism or low testosterone.
It usually happens due to clogged pores. Other reasons, like hormonal variations, specifically during puberty, are an important factor. Oil glands in the face’s skin activate when hormones become effective during puberty.
Hormonal acne (adult acne)
Hormonal acne evolves when hormone change escalates the oil amount your skin produces. This usually happens during pregnancy, menopause, and for people taking testosterone therapy.
Of the 37.3 million Americans, about 1 in every 10 people have diabetes. while about 1 in 5 people have undiagnosed diabetes. In diabetes, your pancreas doesn’t produce enough hormone insulin or doesn’t use it properly. Hence the treatment is needed. Diabetes is of two types – a) Type 1 diabetes and b) Type 2 diabetes.
Hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) and hyperthyroidism (high thyroid hormone levels) are the two main types of thyroid disease. Both these conditions have multiple possible causes.
Many hormones impact your body, giving alerts that you require food and how your body utilises the energy. Sometimes imbalance of hormones arises, resulting in weight gain. Excess cortisol and hypothyroidism can cause obesity.
Hormonal Imbalances Impacting Metabolism Signs
Common hormonal imbalances involve those that impact your metabolism. Your metabolism consists of the chemical reactions in the body’s cell that alters the food you eat into energy.
Signs Of Hormonal Imbalance That Impact The Metabolism Are
- Slow or rapid heartbeat
- Sudden weight gain/ loss
- Costiveness, dyschezia
- Feeling numb
- High blood cholesterol levels
- Psychological concerns – Depression or anxiety
- Being unable to tolerate cold temperatures or warm temperatures.
- Dry, rough hair and skin
- Thin, warm and moist skin
- Uneven distribution of fat in the body
- Dark skin in the armpit or back side of the neck
- Smal skin growth
- Excessive thirst and overactive bladder
Sex Hormone Imbalance Signs For People AFAB
People assigned female at birth have imbalances of the oestrogen and progesterone. They can also have additional testosterone and androgens. Sex imbalance hormones can cause symptoms like –
- Face acne, check or upper back.
- Loss of hair.
- Vaginal dryness
- Irregular periods
- Lack of interest in sex.
- Vaginal atrophy.
Sex Hormone Imbalance Signs For People AMAB
People assigned male at birth can have an imbalance in testosterone which the testes produce, and other sex hormones causing symptoms like –
- Loss/decrease of body hair
- Erectile dysfunction (ED).
- Gynecomastia (enlarged breast tissue).
- Lack of interest in sex.
- Muscle mass loss.
Cause of Hormonal Imbalances
As we start ageing, changes naturally occur in the body systems. Hormone levels naturally rise and fall throughout life and day. Several instances in life bring more changes and fluctuations in the hormones involving –
There could be several other causes of hormonal imbalance that lead to the rise of hormone levels unexpectedly. The most common causes of fluctuating or imbalanced hormone levels involve –
- Intake of steroids
- Drugs and Medications
The hormonal imbalances are temporary or permanent with a change in medication or properly managing stress.
Chronic hormone-related concerns can have varied possible causes. Conditions that bring medically significant hormone imbalances are –
- Tumors, benign tumours, or other growths.
- Injury/Damage to the endocrine system.
- Autoimmune conditions
Ayurvedic Remedy For Hormonal Imbalance
Ayurvedic herbs have a long-standing traditional use in treating multiple complex diseases. Being an ancient and purest healing technique, it involves plants and herbs. The herbs are used for healing purposes. Hormonal imbalance causes discomfort in an individual’s life. However, some effective herbs are commonly used to balance the hormone level in the body.
Herbs Remedy For Hormonal Imbalance
- Shatavari of Asparagus is a herb that manages a variety of hormonal symptoms like PMS, mood swings, and menstrual cramps. It increases fertility and balances female hormones. The female hormone is known to stimulate ovulation and inhibits female genital disorder.
- Vidarikand or Pueraria tuberosa, is another herb that works well with the female reproductive system. The herb is used as an aphrodisiac, restores health, and revitalises the body. It is an effective herb used to resolve weakness-related concerns in females. It comprises Balya, which improves energy levels in women. It increases libido, resolves infertility, and enhances reproduction in both men and women.
- Ashok is a herb possessing haemostatic, astringent effects, and analgesic properties and is known to be good for the reproductive system. It is helpful while heavy menstrual, bleeding, dysmenorrhea, or bleeding cases. Its astringent property makes it an ideal choice for pitta and Kapha.
- Wild yarn, or Dioscorea Villosa, has an excellent impact on the reproductive system as a hormone regulator, restoring fertility and impotence. It is effective in increasing semen, lactation, and other hormonal functioning and advancing body weight.
- Aloe Vera is a herb that has many uses for the female reproductive system. Its refreshing, sweet, and aromatic characteristics make it ideal for all doshas. Aloe vera, known as Kumari or virgin, can restore youthfulness or energy. It is beneficial for pitta and can go well along the Shatavari. It promotes menstruation and balances the menstrual cycle.
- Black Cohosh (Actaea racemosa) is a female reproductive system for menopausal hot flushes, amenorrhea, delayed labour and (cramps) dysmenorrhea. It possesses a changing, colic, antispasmodic, antibacterial, and muscle relaxant impact. The herb has phytoestrogen.
- Manjishta the herb, is best used for pitta and Kapha is used for bitter, sweet, and pungent tastes. In the reproductive system, it is beneficial for treating amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, bleeding disorders, and menopause. It prompts menstrual blood and stimulates and contracts the uterus, which is used for amenorrhea.
Hope you have become well-familiar with the causes, signs of hormonal imbalance, and remedies for hormonal imbalances. As a remedy, you have gone through various herbs and medicines utilised to treat hormonal imbalances. Consult Ayurveda doctors in a way to procure treatment for hormonal imbalances.